Football is a wonderful game that practically every human on the planet enjoys and watches. Every human being is linked to football in some manner. Football has always carried the joy it brings with it, from the very first match between youngsters on the street through the FIFA World Cup final.
The regularity of the game is what makes it so appealing. The match’s rules and regulations must be consistent. Over time, such regulations have been updated or adjusted to improve the game and assure fairness for all players on the field, including the goalkeeper.
Since 1904, FIFA has been the international governing organization of the seventeen laws of association football, with headquarters in Switzerland.
FIFA has more than 200 members who represent various countries. The International Football Association Board (IFAB) amended its 150-page rule book in 2013.
The Purpose of the Game Football
In football, there is only one goal. The team that scores the most goals at the end of the game will be the winner. Goals are scored by kicking or heading the football ball into the other team’s goal net.
2022 FIFA Football Regulations
1. Football Rules: The Playing Field
A rectangular field of play is required by soccer rules and regulations. Clear and continuous delineated boundary lines should be present on a playing area.
The field surface can be totally natural (for example, grass) or artificially dyed green (e.g. AstroTurf)
The touchlines are the rectangle’s two longest border lines. The goal lines, on the other hand, will serve as the two shorter boundary lines. The field is divided into two equal-sized halves by the midway line.
- A Football Regulations
2. Pitch Dimensions in Football
• The length of a standard touch line should be at least 90 meters and no more than 120 meters.
• The width of the goal line should be at least 45 meters but no more than 90 meters.
3. FIFA Regulations: The Party
FIFA Law 2 sets the international standard for football ball weight and size. Verify the integrity of all approved match balls used in association football games.
4. The Players Before the Start of a Football Match
• Football competitions’ basic rules and regulations allow two teams to compete against each other. Each squad shall consist of no more than eleven players. The match referee conducts a coin toss to determine which team will choose the initial direction of play before any play begins.
• The maximum number of substitutes permitted in a match varies depending on the competition.
5. FIFA Equipment Rules and Regulations
The rules of American football and the rules of English football are noticeably different. The shape of soccer balls is one of the most striking disparities.
A football ball used in official sanctioned matches must have a circumference of 27 to 28 inches.
It must also be properly inflated to the proper pressure before the game begins (checked and confirmed by the 4th official).
6. Rules and Regulations for Football Referees
• Match referees have complete power over the 17 laws of football. The football referee is in charge of the game and ensures that all of the fundamentals are followed.
• Football officials use yellow and red caution cards to signal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct.
• The referee will issue disciplinary action for foul play and misbehavior.
• Interfering with a referee’s decision may result in extra punishment.
• In soccer, penalty kicks are awarded for any direct free kick offense committed inside or outside their team’s penalty area
7. How Long Do They Last?
Each contest is divided into two halves. Each half lasts 45 minutes of normal play time, with a fifteen (15) minute half-time break.
For time lost due to injuries and player substitutions, extra playing time is normally enforced at the discretion of the referee. An abandoned match is typically rescheduled and replayed at a later date.
8. Starting and Restarting Play
Goal kicks, corner kicks, free kick and throw in are used in restarting a game.
9. The outcome of a match
A goal is scored when the ball enters the goalmouth and ‘fully’ crosses the goal line. The team that scores the most goals once the game is over (e.g. after the final whistle) is named the winner.
However, if the scores are tied at the end of the game, the game is a draw. To determine the victor, certain football competition rules allow for extra time (30 minutes) or a penalty shootout.
If any part of a player’s head, body, or feet is in the opponents’ half (except the halfway line) and any part of the head, body, or feet is closer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent, the player is in an offside position.
11. Free Kicks
‘Direct’ and ‘indirect’ free kicks are the two types of free kicks. A player can take a direct free kick and aim it ‘straight’ into the goal of the opposing team.
12. The Penalty Kick
If a player commits a direct free kick offence inside their own penalty area, the referee will give a penalty kick.
13. The Throw in
When the team in control of the ball plays it out of bounds, a throw in is granted (over a touchline). A player must (both):
• Release the ball with both hands simultaneously while taking a throw-in.
• To prevent making a ‘foul throw,’ keep both feet firmly planted on the ground.
If these conditions are not followed, play is stopped and the other side is awarded a throw-in. It is not permitted for players to score directly off a throw-in.
14. The Goal Kick
When the offensive team plays the ball out of bounds over the defensive team’s goal line, a goal kick is given.
The defender or goalkeeper may place the ball anywhere within the six-yard goal box to kick the ball back into play after it has been taken out of play.
15. The Corner Kick
When the defensive team plays the ball out of bounds past their own goal line, the offensive team is given a corner kick.
The offensive team places the ball in the defined corner area and kicks it back into play. A player can score immediately after taking a corner kick.
Football is a beautiful game that is admired by all and the one thing that ensures this quality remains is the rules and regulations that are tied to it. Without the rules and regulations in the game, there will never really be a fair match which would reduce the integrity of the game.
The beautiful game of football has rules and regulations in place for the fairness of the game. There are basic rules each team must obey while playing soccer.